OpenWrt One - celebrating 20 years of OpenWrt

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Tue Jan 9 07:18:11 PST 2024

Chuanhong Guo <gch981213 at gmail.com> wrote:
    >> * What is the purpose of the console USB-C port?
    >> - Holtek UART to USB bridge with CDC-ACM support on USB-C makes the
    >> device ultra easy to communicate with. No extra hardware or drivers will
    >> be required. Android for example has CDC-ACM support enabled by default

    > There are several MCU-based CMSIS-DAP projects out there. They can
    > provide a CDC-ACM serial with a JTAG interface. It may be a bit slow if a
    > USB1.1 MCU is picked, but it should be enough to start a bootloader to
    > unbrick the device.

I don't quite understand the difference; as long as it still has a USB-C it's
fine.

My take on this is that while *I* can unbrick most things, there is still a
mental overhead in doing so...

I think that for many of that would buy a few (dozen), that one thing many us
will do is locate the device at a neighbour/relative/community-space that we
"support" in order to reduce the burden to us.  Being able to walk someone
else through plugging something in is a big win. "When you hit enter, does it
say openwrt#"? and if the answer is no, then we have to do that 100km drive
to visit the device.

I would appreciate a switch chip, since that lets us do DSA and different
things with different ports, but I can live without it.